Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Whalloped

<= This was my car a few hours ago.

The first snowstorm of the season was a hell of a doozy and it hit Moncton especially hard. (Hopefully there'll be some good photos or articles in the local paper to share with you tomorrow. Update - check it out.) Even the Universities and government offices (including mine, thank God), were closed. Just as well, as nobody was going anywhere for hours.

It took me about 2 hours to dig out completely. Unfortunately my landlord doesn't have a snow blower, so we did it the old-fashioned way.


We - me, the guy who owns the house, and a teacher who rents another room from him and who owns another of the cars you see above - waited until around 3 pm to even start digging, as the storm didn't really start to abate since then. In fact, even a short while ago - at 6:00pm or so - this was the satellite weather map. We're supposed to get more overnight - so tomorrow's trip to the office might start with yet more digging.

Ah, well - as I recently commented to NFTP, we've become remarkably sanguine about it. C'est la mode de vie Canadienne, non? The great blessing of living in a part of the country where your "extreme weather" is blizzards (as opposed to, say, earthquakes or tornadoes) is that thanks to the miracles of modern technology we can not only predict and prepare for them, we can literally track them from our home or office computers. That means that I was able to spend almost all the storm curled up at home - or, at least, at mon pied-à-terre - with my laptop and a mug of hot soup.

And then we got up and went out and - sigh - started digging.

ronnie

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Xtreme English said...

hey, a snow day!!! there were actual snowflakes floating past my window this a.m. when i raised the blinds in the kitchen. not enough so that you knew immediately that it was snow (maybe somebody burning newspapers on the roof??)

enjoy! that much snow at once would be a 3-day vacation down here.

11:04 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I had been going to call the guy who plows my driveway and make sure I was on his dance card for this winter, but wasn't able to find his phone number. Fortunately, I remembered who had recommended him and she gave me his cell number. He had been planning to come by, but we talked a little and when I got home Monday night, he had stopped by to take out the snowbank in front of my drive so I could get in and drive through the 10 or 12 inches to the barn. Then, as I was sitting at my computer at about 4:30 Tuesday morning, he came by again and did the whole driveway.

I only had to shovel from the back door to the plowed area ... and this year, I'm using the door that isn't going to be dumped on from the roof.

5:57 a.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

For absolutely no rational reason at all, I'm a little jealous.

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Brian, you're allowed to be a little jealous.

That's hypothetical snow to you. It's light and fluffy and disappears around the time you need to take out the car.

Reality-based snow is much less fun.

ronnie

3:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home