Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Strolling Toronto's Chinatown (updated)

Not the best photo taken of Chinatown, but I just couldn't seem to find anyplace to take a cellphone snap that really expressed anything of the size and complexity of it all. Toronto's Chinatown is very big, many many blocks, and chock full of vendors selling imported goods and foods ranging from the familiar Asian imports to those which are utterly foreign in appearance and mysterious in usage.

It was a quick trip - up one day, back the next - and this was the only personal outing I managed to make. I was staying right in the heart of downtown, at the Metropolitan Hotel on Chestnut Street, and walked all the way to the end of Dundas Street West to Spadina, which I wandered for several blocks north. It was a beautiful day and a nice way to immerse myself very quickly in Toronto's overwhelmingly multicultural life and culture (and grab a cold bubble tea, a pleasure which, alas, has not yet made its way to Freddie).

ronnie

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Two lobsters equal one crab?

Anything interesting to browse through in the People's Book Company? 8~)

2:12 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

There's a pay 'phone in the picture!

How quaint.

2:56 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Nostalgic - Regarding a crab on the plate to be worth two lobsters in the bush^H^H^H on the menu, I'm guessing it has something to do with suppliers. Very inscrutable, you know. I did check out People's Book Company, actually, but alas, my written Chinese (classical or modern) is rusty, by which I mean nonexistant, and this means that apparently I am not People's Book Company's target market. I still find it kind of freaky to browse through books where the cover is where the back should be and vice-versa. At any rate, a disappointing lack of Communist propaganda to be found.

Sherwood, I didn't even notice the payphone. Since almost every Asian person I know is what one might call an "early adopter" (ie they have the latest electronic gadgets before they're even on the North American market) I'm guessing the payphone is for Nainai (Grandmother), who refuses to use one of those ridiculously tiny cellphones and who likes a handset with some heft to it.

7:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home