Monday, February 02, 2009

The World's Cutest Drug-Sniffing Dog

This picture of Emma, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, posted recently to Sherwood Harrington's PicShers blog, reminded me of something we saw in Cuba on our last visit that I didn't blog about because I didn't have a photo to post.

We landed at Frank Pais Airport in Holguin, and while the passengers were collecting their baggage from the carousel, out came two handlers with The World's Cutest Drug-Sniffing Dog.

I'm not sure of the breed, or even if it was a purebred, but The World's Cutest Drug-Sniffing Dog looked almost exactly like Fort Harrington's Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. He - or she - was running around like a mad thing, having the best time ever sniffing everyone's luggage.

Those German Shepherd drug-sniffing dogs, they look all business. They're uniform-wearing, badge-toting LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, you all. They make you worry that your cosmetic bag is carrying the faint trace of the joint your cousin smoked in the bathtub seven years ago.

This dog was adorable, and made you just want to scoop him up and hug him, and worry that your cosmetic bag is carrying the faint trace of the joint your cousin smoked in the bathtub seven years ago.

I wanted to take a picture. I decided that taking a picture of the drug-sniffing dog in a developing country that happens to be Cuba wasn't the very smartest thing that I could do. So I didn't.

But I am happy that I have been able to share - with photographic assistance - the story of The World's Cutest Drug-Sniffing Dog.

ronnie

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

I'd be wary of taking photos of anything in an airport, so i think you were wise not to, but you paint a nice word-picture of this little dog! We should all love our work that much. 8~)

8:45 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

As an owner of four of these adorable dogs, I can believe they would make an awesome drug sniffer. And to be allowed to sniff to their heart's content has GOT to be the life.

9:56 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

Four Cavaliers, Kitty? What a bonanza! We "only" have two, and that's almost enough to send me into a diabetic coma every night when I get back from work.

Emma wouldn't make a very good drug-sniffing dog, ronnie. She'd be far more interested in getting the people to pay attention to her, especially if the people were very, very short ones! The picture you link to, while a lovely one, doesn't show her full-grown, full-bloom gorgeousness; this one, taken in May, comes close.

I agree absolutely with NftP about the word-picture... and about how all of us should love our work that much. And thanks for the PicShers plug!

(By the way, Emma's brother, Jax, would absolutely make a bad, bad drug-sniffer; since he's the "Prince of All-Mine," he'd try to keep anything he found.)

1:27 a.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

Sorry -- I mentioned Emma's brother, Jax, in the above comment without linking to a picture of him. I have to do that, or his lawyer gets all snippy with me, so here's one from the same shoot as Emma's portrait.

3:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home