Friday, December 09, 2011

Cayo Ensenachos, Santa Clara, y Remedios

As some of you have surmised, we have been away for awhile (last week to be precise). This time we stayed on Cayo Ensenachos, part of the Jardins del Rey Archipelago which we have now visited three times. We noticed big, big changes to the region and the towns we visited and passed through on this visit.

We also hired a car and spent some quality time in Remedios and - finally! - two years after the sprained ankle fiasco, I made it to Santa Clara.

I'll be posting photos of those two bustling, amazing Cuban towns on flikr over the weekend but for now, this is a picture of a can of Cristal beer, my favourite beer in the world which tastes like Cuba and which I am drinking while writing this blog post.

I see I have a lot of catch-up reading of my favourite blogs to do!

Mojo stayed at The Cat Spa, where the owner is well-qualified to deal with his current health issues. Unfortunately, he had a bit of a bad spell on Monday night and she had to call the on-call vet, and take him to his own vet on Tuesday. The consensus is that he now needs sub-q fluid more than once a week, and that smaller doses several times a week will be better for him. That saw Husband and I trekking over to the vet this evening after work to learn how to administer them to him ourselves. If he is going to have to have this done three times a week, we are not stressing him out by putting him in a carrier and trucking him to a semi-strange and unpleasant environment to have it done. I won't lie. Neither of us wanted to learn to do this and both of us hate it and are enormously nervous about it. But there you have it. I know some of you have dealt with this already and your encouragement that it will become quite routine is much appreciated.

He also had more bloodwork done when he visited his vet last week and we consulted with the vet on the results today. She says his kidney functions have mostly stabilized but she feels something else is causing his recent weight-loss and vomiting. So after laying out a number of options, from doing nothing to sending him to the veterinary school on Prince Edward Island for a complete work-up, we settled on having an ultrasound done here in town, which might show nothing or which might reveal some source of trouble which we can work on alleviating. It's worth a shot.

ronnie

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

Daily sub-q became tolerably routine for Max, but never for me. I hope it works out more comfortably for you. And, of course, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the imaging shows something that can be ameliorated.

I envy you your authentic favorite island cerveza. My parallel doesn't travel well, so I make do with Guinness Extra Stout which is brewed and bottled in... Canada.

10:27 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

I hope our little contribution to your travel nostalgia is close enough to the real deal to immerse you in good island memories, Sherwood!

Thank god Air Canada Vacations pressurizes their cargo hold, that's all I can say. We haven't lost a can yet.

I also brought back some "Mr. Potato" Malaysian-made potato chips which are ubiquitous in Cuba for some reason. I'm addicted!

8:07 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

"Immersion" is apt, and Malaysian beats malaise.

11:20 p.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Hurrah for stabilized kidneys, and hope the administration of the sub-Q becomes more comfortable with practice.

I'm amazed that you can bring back those cans in passenger plane cargo - and not one has burst? Way-cool to be able to bring a flavor of a favorite place back home, to enable a quick culinary visit.

6:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home