Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The new new job



So the new job in a brand-new branch of government comes with a new office, a new view (alas, not from my office); a new photo ID/key card; and a new Blackberry. The Blackberry takes pictures (see left) and collects my email and surfs the web and plays MP3s and has GPS and does all sorts of wonderful things; but its main role, I believe, is to show everybody else in government that my team is a Very Important Team doing Very Important Things, hence my manager asking me "Where's your Blackberry?" six to eight times a day, while he has his in his hand constantly, like a globus cruciger. It is a joy toy though, and I've coveted one for a long time. Between the ID card, the Blackberry and the latter's bulky belt holster I feel a bit like I'm walking around with Batman's Utility Belt on.

Compared to my job with the Federal government, where I was an insignificant guppy in a great big sea, this job is intensely different. Here there is a lot of scrutiny and a lot of pressure, both from inside and outside the government. We're a very small team being asked to make some pretty big things happen. Fast. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to go into more detail about the job - which is absolutely fascinating and exciting and we're building the roadmaps even as we build the road - I won't be able to. Just take my word for it - it's the job I should've had years ago when I first applied for it and so far I love every second of it.

ronnie

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that's great news, ronniecat! you certainly found the right job this time..or rather, the job found you! it takes as long as it takes.

yes, those blackberries are fab. i have a sidekick, which is part of the t-mobile fambly, but not as expensive/impressive as the BB. i love it, though. the camera is very handy, indeed. i take lots of photos on buses with it.

11:06 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to go into more detail about the job - which is absolutely fascinating and exciting and we're building the roadmaps even as we build the road - I won't be able to.
I'm confused -- at the last Amherst alum session, Stan Turner told me that CIA had stopped that program. But I guess not, and, hey, I hope you've been told about the "Blackberry"'s backfire tendencies. We've lost more than a few operatives to its unfortunate side effects.

Love the picture! You might want to suggest that the bland building in the background could be masked by an art project -- say, of strategically-placed flagpoles with black flags and stars.

ME, I have a "Voyager," which I think is Verizon's version of the Sidekick, but I'm not happy with its photo capabilities. Do you have any of your buses photos to share -- or don't I want to know what kinds of pix you take on public transit?

Anyway... Way to go, ronnie, and best, best, best wishes as always. And Oolie passes his best to the Generalissimo, too.

2:17 a.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

PS, ronnie -

Your e-mail is borked, and has been for a while -- something about the quota being overfed. Among other things, you've missed some exciting news from our favorite award-winning graphic artist.

2:27 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Whoah, thanks for the heads-up, Sherwood - the problem's fixed now.

I'd type more, but I'm late for firear- uh, filing training.

8:56 a.m.  
Blogger Carl said...

So your boss is a victim of BlackBerry Syndrome? There's a reason some call them "Crackberries".

I have a BB myself (bought with my own money) but don't use it for email, which confuses people.

Glad you like the new job.

9:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay you! :) I'm so glad the job is going well so far.

Yes, The Manager needs to learn to let go of his crackberry at least once in awhile.

I'd love to hear a (confidential) report from you if you ever have the time.

take care & talk soon,
Robin (& Milli)

8:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home