Thursday, July 27, 2006

Murder Unveiled

I have just finished watching "Murder Unveiled". It's the first time I've seen the movie, which debuted on February 6 on CBC Television.

As someone familiar with many of the details of the case, there is simply nothing I could add to this excellent review, which includes among its follow-up comments a post from the woman who played Jaswinder "Jassi" Kaur Sidhu ("Davinder" in the movie).

Perhaps the only thing I could add is that beyond being - in its way - a uniquely Canadian tragedy, the fictionalization of Jassi and Mithu's story was filmed as an exceptionally good movie. I mean, this is CBC's moviemaking department at its best - and when it's good, it's very, very good.

Painfully exploitive title aside (Jassi was Sikh; literal veils played no role whatsoever in her life or death), the production values, the acting, the editing, the cinematography, the sense of place (Canada and India), the pacing, the storytelling - are all exceptional.

I would, in fact, buy this on DVD should it become available - and that is something I say about very, very few movies these days.

ronnie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home