Wednesday, June 13, 2007

LOLmemes

Ah, the lolcats. You either love them or you hate them. And it appears they've spawned an unstoppable juggernaut of lolmemes which takes the style, vocabulary and in-jokes of LOLcats to a variety of other environments and themes, from LOLing the entire Rocky Horror Picture Show to LOL(scientific)Theorists. (Laughing Squid has a good list of the various LOL sites.)

During lunch today I visited LOL80s. It's heavily 80s-music referential, so being a teenager during that decade heightens the experience considerably. Since I turned 15 in 1980 and 25 in 1990, I was in a fine place to have my experience heightened. Like most unedited, user-submitted threads it had offerings ranging from just plain unfunny, to incomprehensible, to mildly amusing, to extremely funny. These three in particular just slayed me:

(Credit: "Not the real Village People")


(Credit: "ThatNickGuy")
(Credit: "Bluski")

Win!!!1!! Srsly!

(There was also a large picture of Kenny G playing his sax, with the caption: "I M N UR ELLEHVADER... SAPPN UR WILL 2 LIV.")

ronnie

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Xtreme English said...

splain, pls...wot is a lolcat???

born in the 19th century....x.e.

11:09 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Oh my goodness, X.E. - where to start???

LOLcats are basically photos of cats that people caption with bad (cat-level) grammer and spelling (think Mojo's blog). There are a number of in-jokes that keep cropping up:

"I can has __item__?"
"O rly"? ("Oh, really?")
"I/you has a flavr" (usually the caption on a photo of a cat licking someone or something)

I made this post when I first discovered them... it may help explain the phenomenon.

It's very sweet and silly and good-natured. The motherlode of LOLcats is here. Like dipping into Shakespeare, it takes awhile to adapt one's ear to the language, but it's fun when you do.

ronnie

6:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home