Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Here we go again...

So I handed in my resignation today.

(For those of you having trouble following, there are programs available on the table next to the door in the back, there.)


On Friday, I was offered a permanent position with a provincial government department. The rumblings started just two days after I announced to my network of professional contacts that I was leaving my NGO to work for the federal government - I got a call from an old player in the game who wanted to know if I'd be open to an offer from his provincial department. Sure, I said, I'm open to looking at any offer - that's how life moves forward. He approached me again two weeks ago and again I told him I would look at any offer he wanted to make me in writing with an honest eye and compare it with my current situation. And on Friday they offered me the position, and today I formally accepted it.

I love my current job like crazy and I leave with a lot of regret about leaving the position and the people. But not being away from my family three to five nights a week is a no-brainer.

(If you'll turn your attention to page five in the program, you'll see a flow chart that plots my recent and near-future career path. It should be helpful in following tonight's presentation.)

My manager was incredibly understanding about it, although I felt sick telling her, she's been so decent and patient and helpful and such a good teacher. I singled her out in my resignation letter for thanks for her leadership and guidance, knowing that it will be seen by her supervisor, and her supervisor's supervisor.

(My landlord is less thrilled, but that, dear hearts, is the very nature of landlords the world over.)

My federal branch had a regional quarterly meeting today. One item on the agenda was "Arrivals and Departures/Arrivées et départs". I was introduced as all four, to much amusement.

But my colleagues gave me a round of applause at the news that I'd been offered a permanent position with the province. (I am fairly certain this was happiness for me and not relief that I was leaving, based on the warm congratulations after the meeting.)

The new position will be incredibly challenging and those of you who know which Department I'm moving to, and what my file will be, know why. But it's a job my whole career to date has been leading to, and it might - just might - be a chance to make some of the changes that I've spent the last ten years recommending to government actually happen.

(Now, if there aren't any questions, there are coffee and tea and soft drinks over there in the corner. The muffins stopped when the Harper government took power.* But feel free to mingle as long as you like.)

ronnie

*True.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

What an exciting time in your life, ronniecat! Congratulations!

What language do these people speak in the office?

7:42 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Hablamos Inglés, Sherwood - Dieu merci!

7:47 p.m.  
Blogger Kimberly @ kimberussell.com said...

Many congratulations to you!

8:08 p.m.  
Blogger Ronnie said...

Lots and lots of reasons to be happy about this, not the least of which is that we don't have to worry about your and the wildlife and the snow. Congratulations...
Ronnie

1:09 a.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Don't forget to pick up that big wooden cat on your way out of town ...

5:58 a.m.  
Blogger Carl said...

Congratulations, Ronnie.

I once stopped having a four-hour commute. It was a real relief. (Then my new job moved me to an office with, um, a four-hour commute....)

BTW, "what my file will be" is not an expression I recognize.

8:59 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Lady Gypsy and Ronnie, thanks very much!

Mike, I walked past the cat this morning. I swear I saw a tear glistening in the corner of its eye, but then they'd just watered the shop plants, too.

Carl,

Perhaps it's a local usage, but it's used by both federal and provincial civil services here. "My file" is the specific area of responsibility or project you're assigned to work with. If I was with, say, the Department of Energy - which I'm not - "my file" might be "renewable energy", or "conservation education", or more specifically "some particular provincial energy conference I'm organizing".

"My file" in my new department is going to be a particularly challenging one that is under a lot of public scrutiny locally right now.

What jolly fun!

ronnie

10:53 a.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

This is very happy news! Congratulations!

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Brent McKee said...

Congratulations Ronnie on the new job and not having the long commute. More time to spend with the important people in your life, your cat ... and oh yes, your husband.

For those of us who are not riveted to news of New Brunswick politics - my local Canwest paper can barely keep up with the goings on in Manitoba (though we get a lot of Alberta news) could you perhaps give a little explanation on why your new file (not a term used here in Saskatchewan either) are under scrutiny?

1:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Ronnie. I hope this new job is everything you hope it will be.

3:15 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

Good for you. When you announced your new/old job I was happy because you were happy, but privately cringed at the thought of so much distance and time between you and home. I couldn't/wouldn't have done that. This sounds like a better fit all around, and you deserve it.

8:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, kid! and a resounding adios to the commutes!!! you've got one hell of a lot on the ball, so i'm not surprised you got such a good offer.

i'll have to check in to see wot MOJO has to say about this!! you have told him, non?

10:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home