Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sam

Last Sunday, July 19, we lost a member of our extended family when "cousin" Sam, our dear friend C.'s cat, passed away. I haven't been able to blog about it at all until now. But not to comment on his passing seems wrong, too.

He hadn't been himself for a little while and hadn't been eating, so C. had taken him to the vet for observation over the weekend. The end, when it came, came quickly.


Sam was a guest in our home many times over his 16 years, while C. was away visiting family or taking care of other business. He spent several happy Christmases with us. Veronica envied him; Mojo absolutely worshipped the ground he walked on, and followed a few steps behind him everywhere he went in the house.


Sam, for his part, was the perfect houseguest. Among our nicknames for him were "the Grey Ghost" and "Gentleman Jim". He was the gentlest, best-natured, sweetest cat I've ever known. Veronica's attempts to intimidate him were met with a bemused stare; Mojo's clumsy attempts to play with him were met with gentle engagement. He glided around the house silently, observing events from here and there, begrudgingly accepting our affection until the center of his universe got back.


Of course the important person here is C., who has lost a companion of 16 years. She's handling it as well as I would have expected someone of her character to, which is to say, literally as well as possible. I hope I deal with it as well when... well, you know.


The scan above is of an older but favourite photo, which is a bit scratched up. But I think it highlights his wise, intelligent face and engaging manner.


I don't think you'll see Mojo blogging about this one. The fact is, I just don't have the heart to even tell his fictional self.


ronnie

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

I'm sorry, ronnie, for you and for C. The great ones leave such holes.

Your photo shows a face that fits your description perfectly.

11:01 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

Aw. So sad. As someone fighting a probably futile battle against feline mortality myself, this hits close to home. Good cats are great.

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

Condolences to C. and to Sam's other dear friends too, on the loss of an obviously special guy.

4:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Sister said...

Give my regards to C. I remember when he stayed at your house when I was there. He was a sweet, charming guy who honestly seemed happy all the time. I remember how he insisted in sleeping beside my head (and sometimes on my face). I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

6:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home