Monday, January 04, 2010

Numa Numa

Remember the Numa Numa guy?

It was one of the earliest viral videos. One day in 2004, Gary Brolsma sat in front of his computer webcam and hit "play" on a recording of "Dragostea din tei" by Moldovan pop band O-Zone. Then, he... well, he...



Then, he posted the video to a small video-sharing site, where it caught on like wildfire, becoming known simply as "the Numa Numa video", after a phrase repeated in the song. The video migrated to other video sites, including YouTube, and was viewed over ten million times. People kind of laughed at him and his geekiness. He was so geeky! He was the newer version of the Star Wars kid.

Today I stumbled across a little piece of internet awesomeness. In October 2009, during the halftime show of a football game, the Michigan State University Marching Band invited Gary to... well, to... Oh well, just watch the video.



I think I love the Michigan State University Marching Band.

ronnie

6 Comments:

Blogger Ronnie said...

Thank you thank you - hooray for everybody!

10:26 a.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

Nice. I think my take on the Numa Numa Guy and Star Wars Kid is microscopically more charitable than most people's. While there is definitely a streak of cruelty in laughing at overweight dorks embarrassing themselves, I (at least) watch them with a warmer sense of "there but for the grace of God." We've all sung aloud in the car, danced down the staircase, or flexed coming out of the shower. We'd be horrified if caught, and crushed if recorded. I think the band's invitation and football fans' warm reception for Numa Numa Guy is their way of saying, "we're with you, bro."

At least, I'd like that to be true.

12:14 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

... but, being in Northern California as you are, Brian, you know it wouldn't be true if the band was Stanford's.

6:12 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

The Stanford Band won my affection for life with just one performance, and they never played a note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY

9:28 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Ronnie: I agree!

Brian: I think there is no doubt whatsoever that the band, and the crowd, were saying "we're with you, bro". That's why I loved the video so much.

Sherwood and Brian: I'm Canadian. I don't understand football. (If I were from Saskatchewan, this would be different, but that's another post.) But I have to say the video Brian posted was the "WTF?" moment that made me realize I will NEVER, EVER, EVER understand football.

10:17 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

Heh!

At the risk of ruining the gag, it is hard to see what's going on at YouTube resolution. The game was almost over, four seconds on the clock. Stanford was in the lead and kicked off to Cal (U.C. Berkeley), which had time for one desperation play. Said "play" consisted of Cal players tossing the ball to each other (which is legal as long as the ball doesn't advance *forward* during a toss, and debate continues to this day as to whether all were legal) until they worked their way down to the End Zone. Meanwhile, the Stanford Band and fans, thinking they'd won the game several seconds earlier, had already taken the field for their victory celebration. And a luckless Stanford trombone player got tackled at the end.

It's all very simple, really.

Maybe not. If it helps, this play was an outlier.

10:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home