Wednesday, July 07, 2010

We're having a heat wave...

A heat wave is gripping the whole eastern half of the country, from Ontario to Nova Scotia (Newfoundland is cool all summer with temperatures from the teens to low 20s), and we're no exception. Temperatures topped out at 32° (90° F) here today; the humidex (a measure of the humidity and how it affects our bodies' perception of the temperature) suggested it felt like 41° (106° F).

I don't mind the heat much; I am the one who'd always rather be too hot than too cold. I luxuriate in heat. However, the sun shines on our second-story bedroom all afternoon and evening, and on hot days it becomes the hottest place in the whole house. That's why we got a very nice little air conditioner that keeps the bedroom cool and lets us sleep in comfort.

Except did I mention the house is being painted? Not only would the AC, which extends quite a ways outside the window, be in their way as they moved their ladders around that part of the house, but the window frames are being painted too. So for now we are just suffering the hot sweaty nights out. (Somehow the phrase "hot sweaty nights" sounds a lot more exciting than the reality we're living lately).

Supposed to be hotter still tomorrow!

Least you don't have to shovel it :)

ronnie

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

O no - life without AC under temps like that is very very rough. We put younger daughter and her boyfriend on a plane back to NY last night, after their being here 5 days, and knew they were in for it up there. The wave doesn't seem to be affecting us at all - it reaches about 90f. but that's normal for us in July. Yall take care!

9:09 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I was just wondering the other day if there is any environmental gain to my not having AC, given the number of fans I have had going this week. That with twice-daily trips to the river with the dog are getting us through, but it would be nice to get a little sleep at night. Not happenin' in this weather.

If I wanted to live like this, I'd be in the Midwest, not New England.

7:46 a.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

It's been unusually cool in my part of Northern California all summer. Our tomatoes aren't growing, and the past few days I had to put on pants and a jacket just to keep the chill at bay. Feel free to come out and stay a while!

Yeah, I just wanted to rub it in.

1:19 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

When Californians begin to wear pants, the Apocalypse cannot be far behind.

3:34 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

NFTP, you would know! We don't usually do temperatures like this for days on end.

Mike, I'd forgotten the NE of the US was being affected by the same system. I'm told by reliable sources that some ice in a pan of water placed in front of one of those fans will help considerably.

Brian, my flight arrives at 2 pm tomorrow. Surprise, smartypants!

7:47 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Aaaaaaaaaaand - that side of the house is done, and the air conditioner was in the window when I got home from work today! (Cue Hallelujah Chorus.)

8:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home