Sunday, August 29, 2010

360

I bought an Xbox 360 yesterday. I've been researching game systems for some time now, having become frustrated with games for PCs that require a more and more encyclopedic knowledge of every element of your computer so that you can try to guess whether it matches the system requirements of more and more resource-hungry games. And even when you do theoretically meet the system requirements, I've discovered there's no guarantee the games will run properly on them - as happened with the copy of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare" I got last Christmas.

So I did the research and decided on the Xbox. I'm really happy that the setup was easy-peasy and everything is working like a charm. And I have "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare". It's going to take some getting used to this silly bat-shaped controller, having only used joysticks or mouse controls all my life. The Xbox controllers have two tiny joysticks for movement, one for forward/backward and one for turning left and right. They have to be operated in synch to move the character around the game. Right now I'm lurching through the early scenes of the game like a hysterical drunk, and if it were real life, I'd have been stone-cold dead more than a dozen times.

But you know, old dogs can learn new tricks if they're persistent enough. And there's a side-benefit to this silly little wireless controller that I hadn't anticipated. Unlike a laptop, this one leaves lots of room for a little Mojo on the lap during gameplay.

For that alone, he's a big fan.

ronnie

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent McKee said...

One thing you have to watch out for with the XBox 360 is overheating, and the so-called "red ring of death" (with the newer slim models it's now the "red dot of death) that can lead to your machine dying. Leo Laporte, who used to be on TechTV and currently has a highly popular podcast network, claims to have lost about four XBox 360s to Red Ring of Death.

My bother has a PS3 which also doubles as his Blue-Ray DVD player. Me, I don't own a video gaming system (though my mother sometimes talks about getting a Nintendo Wii - for the excercise).

4:03 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

We were warned about the RRoD/RDoD by several of the salespeople we talked to as we comparison shopped. (Nice to have the disclosure before we bought.) It seems to have been much reduced in the new model, but Microsoft has a 1-year warranty on the system as a whole and a 2-year warranty specifically on the RRoD failure. All the games I want to play are on the Xbox system, so we decided to take the chance.

8:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home