Thursday, September 01, 2005

How we can - try to - help

The situation in and around New Orleans is continuing to deteriorate. In spite of the fact that yes, this is one of the richest countries in the world, with massive resources, there seems to be no denying that the authorities were unprepared for the scope of this disaster and that the reality is that these people, these human beings, our neighbours, and their pets, are suffering and dying and need help. And help is not getting to them through current avenues.

What they need is food and clean water and blankets and soap and toilet paper. My own first-hand experience with working with sudden influxes of refugees is not extensive, but it is extant (the Kosovars would be the most relevant example); and between that and my other work with refugees, I know who can deliver help and do it effectively: the Red Cross, followed by other experienced non-profit disaster relief agencies. If you want to do something to get material help to these people as quickly as possible, there are a couple of ways you can do so, even from Canada.

UPDATE
  • I'd been waiting for confirmation that Noah's Wish was working in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and received it today. They do nothing except animal rescue after disasters, and as an organization filling that gap, they are well worth supporting.
Arguing about the reasons why their systems broke down, or weren't there, is for later, and they can't wait.

ronnie

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. I've just emailed you something I got in my inbox on this very topic too. It's been all over public radio here. What a mess.

1:57 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Thank you, Cousin. (My cousin has emigrated to the southern US to pursue her music career and is closer to the effects of Katrina than almost anyone else I know personally.) You must be seeing refugees start to turn up - I've read they're being bussed as far away as Salt Lake City, UT.

I'll be emailing you soon -

ronnie

8:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home