Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Brave New World

The ASL signs which combine to make the expression "Oh, my GOD!" are particularly expressive and I wish I was able to show them to you here...

...because I have just finished "Half Life 2" and I am simply floored.

I haven't had a gaming experience that heart-poundingly immersive since I went deaf and frankly, didn't expect to ever again. (Plus, damn, that Alyx is cute. And kick-ass.)

Oh, my GOD.

No wonder the people at Valve won so many awards for this game.

You know, the cochlear implant I have selected is unique for its inclusion of a particularly funky feature. You can actually plug electronics (personal CD players, keyboards, telephones) directly into the implant. Literally, "feed your head! feed your head!".

When I played Half Life and its spin-offs Counter Strike and Blue Shift as a hearing person, I enjoyed turning off the lights, putting on headphones and becoming totally immersed in the virtual world of Black Mesa.

I foresee that I may in the near future be able to plug video game audio directly into my implant for much the same effect.

Not only that, but hopefully, I will be able to hear Husband's music again - direct from source, without distortion or interference, as best the CI can interpret it.

"O! brave new world, that has such people in it..."

ronnie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home