Saturday, October 29, 2005

S'all pieces, bits and pieces...

A scattered collection of random thoughts...

... Hurricane Wilma, widely expected to hammer the Maritimes, missed us but we got nailed by another storm around the same time anyway. My favourite red umbrella gave up the ghost after being popped inside-out once too often. A couple of the wire spines literally snapped. I loved that umbrella, and more importantly, I paid $1 for it at Dollarama...

...Salon's new redesign is so awful I want to cry every time I see it. I am a premium member, and my membership just came up for renewal... Design issues aside (and they are legion, from the nearly unreadable font to the repetition of the same article titles multiple times on the index page), I was on the fence until they introduced their "sassy" new girlyblog, "Broadsheet" ... while readers have been responding with howls of protest at this patronizing ghettoization of "women's news" here, here, and here, Salon has responded by slapping them in the face with articles with titles like "Pussy saves Broad!"... I won't be renewing...

... tomorrow is our Godson's birthday... he'll be five and is cuter than a bug's ear... I love his birthday parties - even though his mom and dad invite all the grandparents and aunts and uncles, the menu is what HE chooses... last year we had hot dogs and McCain's "Smiles"... how can you not love, at 40 and without kids of our own, the opportunity to eat "Smiles"? ...

...rathergood.com continues to amuse me mightily ("Here's a little song which gives us a glimpse into the tragic life of a little kitten trying to deal with the crapness of his leopard")...

...Forgotten NY is an amazing website a friend passed along to me that lovingly catalogues the remnants of the New York of a bygone era... the hundred-year-old wrought-iron streetlamps, fading advertisements and forgotten subway lines that remain in a city which, after all, is nearly 400 years old...the items photographed are oddly beautiful and browsing the site, strangely compulsive... the first day I got the link I spent two hours there before I realized it...

...speaking of amusing me, so does fark.com , a collection of the oddest news stories around the globe, sent in by farksters.


ronnie (And remember - "Who's winning? We're all winning!")

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Fies said...

I regard rathergood.com very highly. In fact, I have "We Like the Moon" (http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/) bookmarked and play it anytime life or work threaten to get too serious. Thanks for the reminder to check out some of their other fine work.

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanksgiving day 2018

3:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home