Monday, March 26, 2007

¡Hola Cuba!

It's hard to believe that, while we've spent so much time on it for the past several months, I haven't yet mentioned that we're planning our first trip to Cuba in April.

It's a bit hard to explain properly what this trip means to us. It's the culmination of a lot of late night pillow-talk, long car-drive talk, and daydreaming over fifteen years of being together.

"We're gonna go south, some year."

"Yeah... one of these days, we're gonna take one of those winter vacations."

"Yeah, one of those 'all-inclusives'. You know - where you pay up-front and you don't have to worry about anything after that. You know?"

And we'd daydream out loud together about white sand, and turquoise water, and palm trees. And between us, we were just barely scraping together enough to make a part-payment on last-month's bills. But we had our dreams.

And every year, we said to each other, Friday night, lying in bed, "One of these years, though, we're going south in the spring."

"White sand. Turquoise water."

"Snorkeling!"

"Tropical fish. Palm trees."

Meanwhile, time went by. Things changed. Husband got a much better job. I got a little, tiny raise. The price of travel to the south continued to drop.

This, this is that year.

A "dream come true", one might say without irony.

So, it's been an open secret (Mojo let it out ages ago) that Husband and I are planning a trip to Cuba next month.

Why Cuba? It was always going to be Cuba. I'm not going to beat anyone over the head with the politics of this, but we did our research, and we became aware that if we chose Cuba as our vacation destination, we could have the option of also really helping some people who have been having a hard go of things, in part, yes, for domestic reasons, and in part because of conditions imposed on them. Neither of which, it should be made clear, we agreed with. So it was always going to be Cuba.

All the arrangements are made. All I gotta do is get through Hell Week.

And then - we're going to Cuba!

ronnie

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, get through hell week and ENJOY yourselves in Cuba!!! What a dream trip! I've always wanted to go there, and of course, my ex-husband has been there at least twice. (yeah....he's been to Paris at least SIX times, too. hm.) I've always admired their health care, especially for women and children. Best infant mortality rate in Latin America, I believe.

Xtreme....

11:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie, I have just found your blog and only begun to read it, wonderful stuff. ;-) I believe from your Activation story we may have been activated with our CI's at the same Center - NSHSC? I was activated in July 2005 and reading your experience brought back wonderful memories for me, my activation was so simular. I was the 99th implant patient for the Halifax team in June of 05.

If you are interested in swaping CI Stories check my Yahoo page - it badly needs an update - take care and keep up the great blog...

http://360.yahoo.com/partridm

7:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing is better than dreams coming true.

I couldn't help but remember Arlo and Janis' trip to Cuba from a few years back.

http://www.arloandjanis.com/cuba1.htm

Emily

12:34 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Hola Michael! Welcome to the asylum!

Yep, we did get activated at the same place, and I'm guessing you know who some of the people referred to on the blog by pseudonyms are. They are an awesome team, aren't they?

Stick around, sometimes we all get drunk and sing and sign badly ;)

Emily, I am a HUGE Arlo 'n Janis fan and loved his Cuba story arc! It is very much on my mind these days :) I will have to send Jimmy Johnson a postcard from Cuba (or does that kind of thing get 'Mericans in trouble?).

ronnie

11:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could Jimmy Johnson not find getting a postcard from Cuba to be incredibly cool? (Won't get him in trouble).

I'm wanting to go to the comics festival in France "just" to send him a postcard from there.

Emily (sorta from RACS)

11:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post cards are fine.

Cigars are verbotten.

Have a good trip.

Regards,
Dann

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Dann,
You are a gentleman and a good friend. :)

ronnie

8:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home