Monday, April 30, 2007

¡Feliz cumpleaños a mí!

Friday was my birthday, and even though I tend to do birthdays "low-key", and don't broadcast them beforehand, I am always surprised and touched at how many people remember and mark the occasion. The folks at work gave me a plant, which I am working very hard to murder (apparently it cannot be left alone, even for a weekend, even if watered at 4:30 pm on a Friday); my folks had sent me an e-card a few days earlier in the week, and my sis sent one, too (thanks!).

My best friend in Ontario sent me a snail-mail card and my former-coworker-now-very-good-friend in Manitoba sent an absolutely charming postcard featuring a cat in a tiara which just seems perfectly appropriate; my co-worker "Mo" gave me a sweet card from his family and a gift; my Dad and my mother-in-law both tried to phone me on Friday but my cellphone was having a bit of a nervous breakdown.

Husband gave me an upcoming special trip to my favourite salon for highlights for my hair (at my request - something I love doing but feel dreadfully guilty about spending money on) and a Hostas plant (his idea) to replace the one the dunderhead gas installers dug up last autumn (they didn't tell us they were coming, and we arrived home to discover they'd completely dug up a quarter of the back yard, including a Hostas which I loved and which pre-dated our residence in this house. I actually cried about it, I was so upset, and replacing it is nothing less than a stroke of genius on my dear Husband's part.) Also the cats got me a card with a hilarious signature that includes thanking me for "taking care of us, with the food, and the roof, and everything."

Last night (Sunday evening) my dear mother-in-law, Mom O, made me a special birthday dinner (roast beef, which she knows is my favourite), and one of my favourite brother-and-sister-in-law-and-their-son-my-Godson were there and he had a handmade card for me; and we had birthday cake (lemon icing - which she knows is my favourite) with ice cream and my Godson helped me blow out the candles.

And tonight I called my Dad back ('cause of the cellphone problems on Friday), and we talked and laughed a bit and then I told him and my Sis I loved them and they told me they loved me, and I felt very, very, lucky and blessed.

So Happy Birthday to Me.

ronnie

4 Comments:

Blogger Rob Wynne said...

Happy birthday, Ronnie!

7:50 a.m.  
Blogger Peggy said...

Happy Birthday Ronnie!

7:25 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

Almost a week late, but, quoting Sandra Boynton:
Hippo birdie two ewes,
Hippo birdie two ewes,
Hippo birdie deer ewe,
Hippo birdies two ewes.

9:16 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Thank you to everyone! :)

ronnie

5:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home