Saturday, April 07, 2007

Meet Harriet

After my post about my Royal Doulton flapper, I got a couple of comments from a couple of ladies who know something about either Royal Doulton or Googling or both, and who commented that a) she was unusual for a Doulton (I agree - the slightly risqué pose seemed quite unusual for staid old RD) and b) there doesn't seem to be anything online about her.

Well I love a mystery so I turned my flapper onto her head in a box full of newspaper and studied her, um, bottom.

Her name is Harriet and her Royal Doulton number is HN 3177. Even that information hasn't turned up a great deal of information on her. I did find her for sale here, and I now know that she was issued between 1988 and 1991. She was designed by Douglas V. Tootle, who seems to have done a thriving business designing Toby Mugs and plates as well as figurines (links are to auction sites so may not last forever.)

So the mystery of who Harriet is has been resolved. The mystery of what she is thinking about, with that faraway expression on her face, will have to remain her very own secret.

ronnie

3 Comments:

Blogger Xtreme English said...

whoever Douglas V. Tootle (dontcha love it?) was, he maybe had a fixation on this Harriet chick. there are about 5 or 6 Harriets (though a course, i dunno if D.V.
T. made them all). it's a good thing you don't have Harriet HN 3795, mojo would go ape.

12:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the indulgence about my spelling, and thanks for keeping going on this enough to help me see all those figurines in this post. My Top of the Hill is of the larger sort and the colors different from all of the ones shown, and of course I think more beautiful. The date would have to be right around 1950 since we lived in the house where you-know-who was born. Glad I don't really like either of the Veronicas so I'm not tempted to start acquiring things to be divested.
The other ronnie

12:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By George! Daffy Down Dilly is indeed Daffy Down Dilly with just different spacing than I employed. And she is the right colors and looks just lovely as ever!
the other Ronnie

12:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home