Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Flag Day!

Today, February 15, is Flag Day in Canada. It's a day particularly close to my heart, as the modern flag of Canada was born just 2 1/2 months before little old me. It was a heady time, when the future belonged to Canada - we were just two years away from Expo '67.

I like the Canadian flag. I think it's a triumph of design - you try reducing our complex tri-partite (Aboriginal/French/English) founding into two colours and three design elements - and I like that stylized maple leaf (chosen because of the tree's significance to Aboriginals and to early settlers, both French and English), those two bold red bars ("A Mari Usque Ad Mari" - "From Sea to Sea" - the country's official motto); and also, I'm really, really happy they didn't choose the beaver design instead.

Also, sewing it onto your backpack gets you better service and gives you a false sense of security in Europe.

What's not to love?

Happy Flag Day!

ronnis

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

I'm glad the beaver flag didn't prevail, too. I notice that in the beaver flag's description, the beaver is to be "au natural" -- do beavers in Canada generally wear clothing? What kind?

The hockey flag would have been cool, too.

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

"It's a day particularly close to my heart, as the modern flag of Canada was born just 2 1/2 months before little old me."

Yeesh. Now I'm hesitant to say, "Oh, I remember when that happened!" However, I do, and I also remember a proposed flag that involved the national rodent -- it depicted nine beavers pissing on a frog.

New Brunswick must have objected.

8:17 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Sherwood - You're right - the hockey flag would've been cool.

Mike - LOL'd!!

8:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home