Wednesday, September 09, 2009

En route to St. John's

This was actually the first leg of the trip, from Fredericton to Halifax. It's a Beech 1900D operated by Air Georgian. Air Georgian is an Air Canada Star Alliance partner, which means they sometimes handle flights booked through Air Canada on Air Canada routes. Except you're not told until after you book that you'll actually be flying Air Georgian on a plane which fits 18 passengers and 2 crew. And which feels, in turbulence, a bit like riding a wrench in a blender.

Before my first flight on one of these aircraft, the First Officer came back into the cabin to politely note that we had a bit of a weight issue with the luggage, so if all the ladies could please move to the rear of the plane and all the gentlemen please move to the front, thank you very much.

The joys of life in the outback.

Also, on my first flight in this Beech, we skipped all over the runway on landing like a 7-year-old-girl on Adderall. Yesterday whichever of the crew handled the landing set it down smooth as silk in Halifax.

The pip - the absolute pip - of the flight from Fredericton to Halifax was that when I checked in online the night before, the flight details - which didn't mention the make of aircraft - listed my seat - 6A - as an "aisle". I prefer window seating, so requested a change. Fine, the webpage said - 7B.

A window.

ronnie

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

"... which feels, in turbulence, a bit like riding a wrench in a blender."

"... we skipped all over the runway on landing like a 7-year-old-girl on Adderall."

You are just killin' with the similes today, my friend! You bet I'll steal both of these sometime soon in places you won't see 'em.

I've been on one of those small-plane flights -- I think it was from Victoria to Seattle -- where they had to re-arrange passengers by weight. Unsettling, isn't it?

8:24 p.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

I've been on those nifty little 2-row planes too, and my simile was that it was like flying in a toothpaste tube. But then, i'm old enough to remember metal toothpaste tubes!

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

i can't even bear to think of riding a wrench in a blender!

10:59 p.m.  
Blogger Dann said...

Ooooo...I love flying in those things. I used to make the run from Lansing to Milwaukee to Green Bay and back on a regular basis in them.

--
Regards,
Dann

10:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home