Friday, July 09, 2010

I paid off my student loan this week.

I PAID OFF MY STUDENT LOAN THIS WEEK!

This monkey has been on my back for 26 years, and this week I kicked it off.

Because of my health problems in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, I didn't work for months on end. Result: my student loan payments were spotty, to say the least, and the damned thing eventually went to collections. It's been a long, hard road of filling out humiliating forms explaining what I spend every shekel on and why I can pay just x amount on this debt each month. (Remember that for years after graduation I worked in the notoriously impoverished non-profit sector.) But with the help of Husband and a good financial planner (bless you, Scotiabank), I've gotten my lousy credit rating back into the black and this week, I got confirmation that the goddamned thing is paid off.

I know they have mortgage-burning parties. Do they have student-loan-burning parties? I have nothing to burn, actually. My student loan contract was lost many years ago. Maybe I'll burn my laptop, which is where I've been tracking this debt. After all, I'll have the money to replace it now, right?

Whoo-hoo!

debt-free ronnie

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, and we can feel the relief all the way out here in California.

My student loans were a nightmare, too, so I can absolutely, positively, sympathize. Don't burn your laptop, though -- toxic stuff in the smoke, you know.

10:36 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

What a relief! Congratulations. Now you can start grad school!

2:13 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Sherwood: Thanks!

Brian: Noooooooooooooooes! (Although I have to admit that it has crossed my mind...)

8:32 p.m.  
Blogger joared said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I must tell family members there is hope to eventually pay off student loans.

2:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home