Saturday, February 23, 2013

CO-MIX: In the Shadow of Art Spiegelman

I have meetings next week in Vancouver, too, so that sees me with a weekend to amuse myself in this city. (Although some of it will be spent working due to my workload right now.) So imagine my delight when on my first day here I saw this on my way to work:



It's a retrospective of Art Spiegelman's work at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Today, I got to take it in. The exhibit was amazing - not only the hundreds of pieces of original art and studies, his commercial work (did you know he was responsible for the Garbage Pail Kids stickers? I was floored), his underground comics, Maus and In the Shadow of No Towers and all the rest, but artifacts like photos of Spiegelman and his parents, the record of his parents' arrest, his mother's passport and his father's application for naturalization in the US. There was even a quiet corner in the back of the exhibit with a deep sofa and many copies of Maus so that you could curl up and read it.


I'm blogging mobile which has its challenges, so I won't go into more detail, but there's a lot more about the exhibit here if you care to read more.

ronnie

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

I've been hearing about 'Maus' for a lot of years but have never read it. I think i need to change that.

I envy you getting to spend time in Vancouver! It's long been on my list of places i want to see.

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

Lucky Duck!! Isn't Vancouver way on the other side of Canada? Warmer? And what a museum to be able to spend time in!! How does your CI work when you travel?
I have to make sure I have chargers for everything, plus extra batteries, etc. etc. etc.

happy spring!! xo, m.e.

2:20 a.m.  
Anonymous Mark Jackson said...

If you haven't had enough Spiegelman yet then /MetaMaus/ will get you there. . . .

1:34 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

where are you now? back home?

9:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home