Thursday, June 12, 2014

Anniversaries

I have been scandalously neglectful of this blog. Other than a spectacularly miserable winter, life has ticked along quite pleasantly and dully for the past year or so. I am very active on Twitter (@ronniecat) and I find it satisfies most of my need for commentary and expression. Twitter is remarkable; I would say 95% of my news now breaks first on Twitter as opposed to hearing about it on other websites, radio or TV.





We went back to Cuba in April; Cayo Largo again. It's like our second home now. Many great moments but my favourite might be when we were dining one day and our waiter asked us where we were from. "Canada," we replied. He looked surprised. "All your lives?" "Yes," we said, a bit puzzled. He touched my very tanned arm (we were both very tanned) and said, "You are not white". We broke up laughing. I guess Canucks have a reputation. "I thought maybe Mediterranean," he muttered as he walked away. 


2014 is a year of anniversaries and milestones. May 15 was Mojo's 15th Adoption Day anniversary. He is, 3 years after having been diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure, still doing incredibly well. He is happy and engaged and playful. (Yesterday he re-discovered his ball-in-a-ring toy, so that's a current obsession.) His treatments have not had to be altered; 40 cc of Ringer's Lactated Fluid (saline) three times a week, sub-subcutaneously. Old routine for all of us now.

June 26 marks another anniversary; the 10th anniversary of the day I became totally deaf (after several days of dramatic and declining hearing loss prior). What a terrifying journey I was about to embark on, and how ill-prepared, in retrospect, was I for it. How little did I understand the pebble-in-the-pond ripple effect it was going to have on everyone around me; how little did I understand how profoundly it was going to change my Husband's life as well as mine.

If not for the support network I didn't even know I had (which includes you) how would I ever have gotten through that bleak year to make it to the miracle of the cochlear implant in 2005?

Never mind. Thankfully, I never had to find out.

ronnie


6 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

I'm amazed, as a science fiction fan, how you can literally go years without even mentioning your deafness now. In a generation it'll be straight curable. Astonishing.

1:22 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

It truly is. I'm a genuine cyborg, which blows my mind.

3:10 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

something to think about, ain't it? i go months without mentioning my deafness, though I do hang out with folks from Gallaudet who are still working in that area. that has changed, too. happy anniversaries!! esp to Mojo! his injections have become old hat??? uff da!

9:15 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

M.E., are you still proficient in sign?

12:36 p.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

I was never proficient in sign. I can manage, but I make many mistakes.
and you??

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

You may deduce how often I check your blog by how late this comment is, but I do check, and think of you often. I'm glad all is well (here too) and can't believe it's been 10 years either. What a time, what a life. My best to all.

9:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home