Friday, September 15, 2006

Homesick



We were discussing National Anthems on a newsgroup recently and I mentioned that I was very fond of the Ode to Newfoundland. (Another poster responded that he "like[s] the brutal honesty of Ode to Newfoundland, which mostly is about how horrible the weather is and how the Newfoundlanders love it anyway".)

So because many people will have never heard it I thought I'd find it online, and I did, over still shots of my home province, on YouTube.

Not because of that conversation, but coincidentally, I'm terribly homesick tonight. It's been building since a trip home in late summer ended up getting postponed indefinitely when work went off the rails, and has been made much worse by the dreadful news that Canjet has canceled scheduled flights out of Moncton. That meant that overnight, the price of flying home leapt from $300 return to almost $600 :(

ronnie

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful anthem, and the pictures of course. I can't believe I've never managed to get there - have meant to go for about forty years and I guess it just isn't going to happen. This was a nice visit.

12:39 a.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I did make it once, and being in love probably enhanced the place somewhat, but it was still one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Maybe the most.

And I'd go live there if there were jobs and so would you and so would a million others, and then it would all be highrises and Wal-Marts. Now, there's a dilemma!

9:09 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Aww, thank you both for your comments. Yeah, being in love does tend to enhance the worst weather - rain is romantic, wind whips your lover's hair around bewitchingly, and snowstorms are just another opportunity to stay home and cuddle. :)

Original Ronnie, if you ever do decide to go, I would be honoured to be your tour guide.

ronnie

8:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home