Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life's little ironies

When you go to some of these resorts in Cuba, they give you a wristband to identify you as a paying resident. These are your key to the restaurants, bars, and recreational activities around your resort (and often others nearby with which yours has partnerships).

I usually cut it off as soon as I get home and it gets pasted into the scrapbook for that particular trip. When I returned from Sol Cayo Santa Maria, I just... couldn't bring myself to cut that band off. It was probably because, due to the sprained ankle, I kind of felt that I hadn't really experienced the vacation... and cutting off the wristband would be an acknowledgement that it was just all over. Just gone.

Well, we're working on planning our next trip, and the stupid thing was getting ratty and worn and torn, and yesterday I said the hell with it and cut it off. And when I glanced at the inside of the band, I saw something interesting.

"PRECISION DYNAMICS CORP SAN FERNANDO CA 91840 USA"

That embargo looks more and more elective every time I turn around...

ronnie

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

The guy who has the office next to mine is a math prof who emigrated from Cuba many years ago, hoping make his living as a baseball player (which he actually did for a while, as a minor-league infielder in the Boston Red Sox system.) I'll occasionally tell him, when his conservative politics get feisty, that he's a personal violation of the embargo.

One of these days he's going to throttle me.

1:50 a.m.  
Blogger Mike Peterson said...

You didn't have to leave it on that long. I'm sure once the CIA tracked your movements back to Canada, they lost interest.

7:27 a.m.  
Blogger Dann said...

Geez, Sherwood. ROFL!

8:24 a.m.  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

the embargo--it's like most laws. if you know a good lawyer, there are lots of ways around it. there are plenty of good cuban cigars in these parts. and the RC church's canon law is another prime though ancient example.

12:26 p.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

ROFL at Mike too (AND at Larry, who said the same thing when i read him the post, before i opened the comments!).

12:56 p.m.  
Blogger Kay Dennison said...

Yeah, that is indeed an irony!!!!

3:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home