Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving



So much to be thankful for.

Just had a wonderful meal at the Beaverbrook Crowne Plaza with Mom O, Husband, brother-in-law, and a niece (from Ontario, attending University in NB) and a nephew (little guy, brother-in-law's son, one of my favourites). A collection of odds and sods; families evolve. The food was exquisite. Nephew had the turkey dinner. I opted for the New World Coquilles St. Jacques. Scallops as Thanksgiving meal? Where we come from, sure.

Tomorrow I'm making Cornish rock hens for Husband and me. Haven't ever cooked them before; that's okay, "the Joy" (as everyone I know who owns a copy refers to it) has it in hand.

We are blessed beyond belief. I know this. Today I'm especially reminded of it.

ronnie

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dann said...

Happy Thanksgiving, to you and the mister, ronnie. I love cornish hens. Don't forget to play with your spice rack!!

Regards,
Dann

11:52 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Much of my early education on things Canadian came on Canadian Thanksgiving. Since it wasn't practical for my uncle's Newfoundland friends at U of T to get all the way back to the Rock for the holiday, he'd bring them to our house.

7:54 a.m.  
Blogger Brian Fies said...

Well, I'm thankful for you.

Karen and I used to eat game hens pretty often, until the day years ago I stuck my hand inside a raw one and made it dance across the counter like that singing frog from the Warner Bros cartoon. Since then, she hasn't had the heart (or stomach) to touch another.

Karen is not always thankful for me.

3:01 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Dann - Thank you for your wishes. They're much appreciated :) I'm thankful for you and for the way you challenge my perceptions and opinions. And thankful for your advice on rubbing some spice on the Cornish hens. Rosemary and sage did very nicely.

Mike - Many years ago I was amazed to discover an American who understood so much about Canada and Newfoundland. I'm thankful for you - and for the Peterson family members I've had the pleasure to meet.

Brian - I am very thankful for you, thankful for the opportunity to connect with Mom and Kid Sis, thankful for the dancing hen story that made me laugh out loud, and I know Karen is thankful for you every single day.

Oh, the Cornish hens turned out very well. Husband utterly destroyed his - flayed it. I may never be able to make them again.

10:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home