Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogger is having a nervous breakdown.

Blogger went into lockdown - sorry, "read-only"- mode yesterday, having lost a bunch of posts and a bunch of related comments. This was distressing to me, as I had not been able to read the 3 comments that had been left on my last significant blog post (the one about my trip to Halifax and my related nerves) - the list of websites blocked at work is mysterious and random, and I can see my blog from work, but not the related comments. First, Blogger lost both the post and the comments; now the post is back but the comment count is at "0". Blogger still says they're going to retrieve those lost comments, but I am well beyond skeptical. So thank you, those of you who cared enough to comment. Let's assume it was a group effort. Just the fact that there were 3 from someone made me feel like you all had my back.

It went very, very well. There's a lot to tell you but frankly, I've been flat-out since 7 a.m. and I am exhausted. I will continue to post random bits and bobs to the blog and more often to twitter while I am on the road, and will tell you everything when I get home. I am outside my comfort zone now, and part of me wants to switch back to my old program, which has been loaded into the processor as an "I can't handle this" failsafe backup; but there is potential here for growth, or, as my audiologist puts it, "I know you're uncomfortable. You're using the new features you paid nearly $7000 to upgrade to, for the first time."

I am functional, I can hear and carry on a conversation. But it's like putting on a new pair of shoes after wearing your comfortable old sneakers to death. You're very aware they're there, and they feel different.

They took my old one, so baby, failure is not an option.

ronnie

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Frieda Loves Bread said...

I'm hoping they'll retrieve the comments....I've saved them in my email, but when I try to re-publish them, the "comment is not found or never existed." Distressing to me as I am having a giveaway on my blog and each comment counts as an entry. Over 70 comments were "lost" yesterday. So glad I found your blog. I have a HOH blog as well!

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

The three were from Ruth, Mike and me. We said hurtful things about you and then had a party here (like we did over at Brian's place a few years back) because you weren't around. You really should buy a better brand of beer.

9:52 p.m.  
Blogger Nostalgic for the Pleistocene said...

And real Cheetos instead of the generics, too.

8:10 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

I *do* buy a better brand of beer. And snacks. I even have gourmet nachos. And cashew nuts. You losers just didn't know where to look. If you had asked Mojo...

Frieda, good luck getting your entries back... I'll check out your blog when I'm back home.

8:24 a.m.  
Anonymous Dave Carrigan said...

The process of adjusting to the new program is fascinating. Probably a lot like when I get a new model of hearing aid, except on an order of magnitude or two more drastic.

Good luck.

3:50 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Mojo was not terribly helpful. He kept asking us if we had any Fancy Feast or 9Lives, and, when we said we didn't, he said he didn't know where the good beer was, either.

4:33 p.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

Dave: I expect you're exactly right.

Mike: I wipe a tear from the corner of my eye. I trained that boy *so well*!

10:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home